It’s the beginning of March, so it’s time for a goals update!
- Be intentional about communicating with others, especially roommates. As far as roommates go, this is going fine. We don’t talk much, but we get the important things done. Family and boyfriends are a different matter — my boyfriend and I are quickly realizing that life happens all at once. He got an internship, so we are planning to move cities and get an apartment together. Neither of our parents like that very much, especially my mom. It’s been difficult to figure out how to maintain respect while still defending my own decisions. I’m guessing there will be some conversations this week, since it’s spring break and I’m home. As for the boyfriend, I’m usually okay at telling him how I feel, except when I start to get overwhelmed and have to deal with PMS hormones at the same time and end up getting really mad over little things that others do and it’s all because I do feel ready to be an adult, but at the same time I don’t…this is all hypothetically speaking, of course. I haven’t yelled at anyone, at least, and when I get upset he knows exactly what to do. I don’t know how he stays so calm when I am so not, but he does. And he even makes me dinner. I’m really glad I am writing this update now, though, because it’s reminding me to take a deep breath and communicate rather than holding stuff in.
- Get physically stronger. With all the studying I’m having to do this semester, it’s a struggle just to get enough body movement in so that I don’t feel like a blob. I think this goal is going to have to be scrapped in favor of just move your body sometimes!
- Find ways to support causes I believe in. This has also fallen by the wayside in favor of reading for my capstone and studying for exams. I will keep it on here, however, because I know that this can be done anytime, and it’s good to be reminded so that I can be on the lookout for opportunities. I suppose working as a COB Ambassador could be considered a way to do this somewhat, since I believe the COB here does an incredible job of supporting its students.
- Read more non-white authors. Capstone project — check. Once I graduate, I’ve got a lot of books on TBR that I put on there especially for this, so I’ll be trying to find them then.
- Food: continue cooking at least once a week; stick to ~$15 a month on coffee. Cooking has slacked off a bit lately, but that’s also because spring break is about to be here and I’m trying to avoid buying groceries until I get back. As for coffee, I’ve still stuck to my goal! Go me!
- COB Ambassadors: Try to help project manage an event. I keep having opportunities to project manage, and I keep not speaking up to claim them. We only have four meetings left, and I’m afraid I may have missed all my chances. So here’s my goal for the next two months: if another opportunity comes up, I WILL SPEAK UP. I don’t care what, where, or when the event is, I will put my name in to project manage an event. I will not keep quiet for fear of people thinking, her? She can’t project manage an event. And if I don’t get another chance to, I will learn from these horrible missed opportunities and say yes to the next one that comes my way, even if it scares me.
- Apply to ~5 jobs a month. I have completely redone my resume, and have been applying to internships and jobs like crazy. I’m guessing if I hear back about any of them, it won’t be until the end of March or beginning of April. It’s a little frustrating, because my boyfriend and I can’t really plan very well until I know how much I’m going to be making. But I know this is how job searches go, and I’m trying to be patient.
So, I’m doing okay on some, and not so great on others. I wish I could be doing a bit better, but no one can be perfect all the time. I’m hoping I’ll have more positive things to say in April.
Good luck on your goals! Love these kinds of posts x
Glad you enjoy them! Thank you for reading ^_^
Great idea for a blog post! Good luck! xx
Good stuff! I’ve probably said this before but I love it when people are serious about their goals :)
I have a suggestion for you. One of the most important things when it comes to achieving your goals is to develop habits related to those goals. Give this book a try: https://www.amazon.com/Superhuman-Habit-Becoming-Possible-Yourself-ebook/dp/B00NGC8I9E It’s only 122 pages and will set you back only $5. It offers loads of very practical, actionable advice on how you can win the habits game. Enjoy! :)