In case you haven’t noticed, Mission:Incomplete looks a bit different. A little less beige. A little more beachy.
What I Did
It didn’t take a lot to update the blog’s look. I’m still tweaking a bit to get the colors exactly how I want them, but the main changes were simple:
- Changed the theme from Bold Life to Lovecraft
- Changed the header photo to one I took of Manuel Antonio Beach in Costa Rica
- Changed the color scheme
Why I Did It
I didn’t just revamp everything for the fun of it (although that was definitely part of it!). Here are the reasons behind the makeover:
- The site now looks better on tablets and smartphones. My previous theme was an older one that didn’t support mobile viewing as well.
- Blogs should always be updated every so often — it had been about 2.5 years since I last changed the theme.
- I wanted a more neutral color scheme. I’m still honing down exactly what this blog’s main focus is, and neutrality makes it easier to be flexible about that.
- I’m currently enrolled in WordPress’s Blogging 201, which is all about branding, so this is my first attempt at that.
There may be more changes in the future — I’d like to update my sidebar to better promote my older posts, so be on the lookout! If there’s one thing I love about blogging (other the actual writing), it’s playing with aesthetics. Almost like rearranging furniture, except I don’t have to move.
Let me know if you love or hate the new look!